• ico-en
  • ico-es
Inicio / Education

Studies in Australia

Australia is proud to have world-class education providers with a high standard of academic quality. Its outstanding level of education is recognised worldwide: many Australian universities are ranked among the top 100 best universities in the world, and 10 Nobel Prize winners from 1915 to 2005 studied in Australian universities. In addition, Australian university teachers are required to carry out continuous research and to have a minimum of a PhD degree.

Study Programs

We provide in-depth advice on a wide range of study programs that are available in Australia, such as:

  • English Courses: General English, English for Academic Purposes, English for Business, and English for Specific Purposes.
  • Preparation for the IELTS and Cambridge exams.
  • Vocational and Technical Education: Certificates I - IV and diplomas including TAFE.
  • Undergraduate (Bachelors) in all areas and pre-university year.
  • Postgraduate Programs, Specialisations, Master's Degrees, MBAs and PHDs.
  • Professional development programs for all types of students and professionals.
  • Applications for scholarships.

At Migrate, we have a highly-regarded reputation as reliable and effective agents in completing study processes for our students.


Beyond just study programs, we provide you with information related to all aspects involved in your stay in Australia, including visas. Australian visa applications can be complicated, and our aim is to provide essential advice in order to make the visa process simple and clear at each stage of the application. Our services include:

  • Filling out the necessary forms for the registration process.
  • Attaining and verifying the required documents.
  • Processing the application with the Australian government.
  • Following up the application until the outcome is confirmed.

For all visa processes, we apply directly with the Australian government as registered agents.

Our flexible system allows you to choose the best type of counselling for you, whether it is by Skype, e-mail or in-person.

Other Services

If your visa application is successful, we will enrol you in your chosen study program, and guide you through other key aspects of your stay in Australia to make your migration process as simple as possible. Our other services include:

Initial orientation in Australia

Since our beginnings as a company, we have offered an initial orientation in Australia to all our customers free of charge. Our commitment is to provide students with the support they need to adapt easily to life as an international student in Australia.

To make sure this process goes smoothly from the moment you arrive, we offer a free airport pick-up service, as well as help in:

  • Currency exchange.
  • Travel options and fares.
  • Public transportation system.
  • Opening bank accounts.
  • Purchase of local SIM card.
  • Any required work certificates.
  • Recommending key locations such as supermarkets, hospitals, pharmacies and much more.


To help you make the most of your stay in Australia, we offer advice on the type of accommodation you can find for your stay. There are various options for accommodation, and a variety of styles and prices available. This ranges from home-stays with Australian families, to share-houses or apartments with other students (with private rooms or double rooms), or private studio apartments.

Medical Insurance

We can also help you to get the health insurance that is required for a student visa. We work in in partnership with organizations that provide this service, and can take care of everything to ensure that you are covered for the duration of your visa, so that you don’t have to worry about managing your own insurance.

Work in Australia

As an international student, you have the opportunity to work legally within a certain time limit while you are studying. Australia is one of the few countries in the world that still provides this benefit to foreign students.

Each type of visa has its own conditions, but in general a student visa allows you to work 20 hours a week, calculated per every two weeks (meaning a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight) while you are studying, and full-time during vacation periods. If a student comes to Australia with members of their family included in their visa as dependents, the work conditions for the dependents may differ according to the type of study program the student undertakes. The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) sets the number of hours that a student and his or her dependents can work, according to the type of studies of the main applicant.

Normally, the dependents of Master’s and PHD students are allowed to work full-time. The dependents of students undertaking English courses, technical studies, or graduate level studies are usually permitted to work 20 hours a week. However, it is always important to check the conditions that are outlined for each case in the letter of approval for your visa granted by the Australian Government.

Australia is a country with one of the lowest rates of unemployment in the world, with only 5.6% unemployment reported in August 2016 according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. In comparison, the European Union reported an unemployment rate of 10.2% during the same month, according to Eurostat.
This is a good indicator of the quality of life, economic stability, and opportunities for work in Australia. It is important to keep in mind that the Australian economy did not escape the serious consequences of the global financial crisis in 2005-2010; the effects of which are still felt in in the economy today. Nonetheless, Australia maintains a substantial level of economic stability, and continues to provide both permanent and temporary residents with a reliable economic situation.

Graduate Work Visa

At the end of March 2013, the Australian Government introduced amendments to the temporary graduate visa (Temporary Graduate visa subclass 485). These amendments allow certain international students who graduate from technical programs, Undergraduate, Master’s or PHD studies in Australia to remain longer in the country, in order to gain practical work experience to complement their studies.

This visa allows you to stay and work in Australia from 1.5 to 4 years, depending on the type of study program. The time frames for different study programs are as follows:

  • Technical Programs: 18 months.
  • Undergraduate or Master's Degrees by subjects: 2 years.
  • Master’s by research: 3 years.
  • Doctorates: 4 years.

This visa has two subclasses, with different conditions and limitations:

  • Graduate Work stream - This subclass is for graduates in professions and occupations that are in demand in Australia at the time of the application, according to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) issued by the Australian Government.
  • Post-Study Work stream - This subclass is for students who have graduated from Undergraduate, Master's or Doctorate degrees in any area of studies in an Australian university, and whose first student visa was granted after 5 November, 2011.

For more information on this visa please see the following link of the Department of Immigration of Australia: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/485-

At 'Migrate', we are committed to helping you look for and find a job in Australia.  We can give you advice on how to develop your résumé, how to obtain certain legal documents and certificates that are required to find a job, such as a tax file number, as well as advice on how to look for a job. We can help to connect you with Australian companies through our wide network of contacts, as well as through recognised job-search engines, such as:


Levels of education

Studies in Australia

Australia is proud to have world-class education providers with a high standard of academic quality. Its outstanding level of education is recognised worldwide: many Australian universities are ranked among the top 100 best universities in the world, and 10 Nobel Prize winners from 1915 to 2005 studied in Australian universities. In addition, Australian university teachers are required to carry out continuous research and to have a minimum of a PHD degree.

The courses and programs offered in Australia to overseas students can be classified into the following four main groups:

English Language Courses

Australian schools and universities offer a wide range of English courses that give students the opportunity to choose the option that best suits their needs.

  • General English: For people who need to improve their English language skills including writing, reading, speaking and listening. Courses are offered from beginner to advanced levels.
  • English for Academic Purposes: For people who need to get an English level that would allow them to apply and study vocational courses or higher education programs in English.
  • English for Specific Purposes: For students who are looking for specialised English courses in specific subjects such as business, tourism, finance, teaching, etc.
  • IELTS and Cambridge Preparation: For people who need to prepare for English language tests such as IELTS and Cambridge and any other type of international English tests that are required for undertaking vocational courses and higher studies in Australia and any other English speaking countries.

Vocational Education & Training Programs

These are vocational courses for students who want to carry out short-term programs, particularly in trade occupations such as baking, hairdressing, cookery, hospitality, construction, tourism and so forth. Private schools and governmental institutes called TAFEs (Technical and Further Education) offer Certificates I, II, III and IV, diplomas and advanced diplomas. Depending on the type of course, the duration of these courses can be from 3 months to 2 years approximately.

Most of these institutes have special agreements with certain universities that recognise these vocational programs, which gives students a pathway to continue studying in higher education institutions without starting from the beginning. These courses require an upper intermediate English level, which corresponds to an IELTS overall band score between 4.5 and 6.0 or equivalent in other recognised international English tests.

Foundation Year and Undergraduate Programs                                                                 

International students who have not completed year 12 at their high schools or at an International high school are usually required to study a foundation year before starting their undergraduate studies. The foundation year prepares students for their higher education programs and is offered in private institutions, TAFEs and universities.

There are two types of undergraduate programs: bachelors with honours, or bachelors without honours. The difference between the two types of programs is that the bachelor with honours includes an additional year that could involve a research component. Bachelors without honours are usually 3 year programs, but some degrees such as medicine, and others, could take longer.

The foundation year and the undergraduate programs require an advanced English level which corresponds to an IELTS-Academic overall band score between 6.0 and 7.0 or equivalent in other recognised international English tests. 

Postgraduate Programs

Universities offer a wide range of postgraduate programs, of different durations: graduate certificates (6 months), graduate diplomas (1 year), Masters (from 1 to 2 years) and PHD studies (around 3 years to 5 years).

There are two types of Masters: Masters by course work and Masters by research or advanced. Masters by course work does not include a research component, and usually takes from 1 to 1.5 years to complete. They are designed for professionals who want to explore a new field, different from their undergraduate studies.

On the other hand, as the name indicates, Masters by research does include a research component or project, and have a duration of between 1.5 and 2 years. The postgraduate programs require an advanced English level which corresponds to an IELTS-Academic overall band score between 6.0 and 7.0 or equivalent in other recognised international English tests.


One of our most important services is to assist you to search and apply for available scholarships. We are convinced that scholarships offer real opportunities to promote the development of the human capital of our countries. We want to assist you to achieve your academic and professional goals!

It is very important that you explore your options to apply for a scholarship before investing in your studies. The Australian government, education providers, private organizations and NGOs offer scholarships of up to 100% of the tuition fees plus funding for other related costs.

Scholarships are usually for vocational programs, masters, PHDs and post doctoral studies. The most important things to bear in mind when applying for a scholarship are: to get the information on time, fulfil the requirements and prepare an excellent application. Unfortunately, sometimes some scholarships are not granted due to a lack of candidates. We provide current information and support you with the required processes to apply for a scholarship. We are constantly getting information about new scholarships offered by different governments and education providers.

Some available scholarships offered by the Australian Government are:

The Endeavour Awards: https://internationaleducation.gov.au/endeavour%20program/scholarships-and-fellowships/about/pages/default.aspx

Australia Development Scholarships: http://www.ausaid.gov.au/australia-awards/Documents/latin-america.pdf

Find also the biggest summary of scholarships at the Australian Government scholarship searcher: http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/en/Scholarships

Do not forget to look at the scholarships offered in your home country to study overseas. Likewise, we also suggest that you enquire at the Australian universities, as many of them usually offer scholarships as well. We can provide you with current information about them.

If you want to receive information about current scholarships to study in Australia, please fill out the following form. With this information we will be able to assess your possibilities to apply for a scholarship so that you can have more and better study options.